Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Book Review: Steadfast Heart


Book Description: 
Despite her spoiled upbringing, twenty-year-old Lenore Fulcher isn't pretentious. She simply believes a marriage should be built on true love. Her father, however, thinks she's wasted enough time searching for the perfect husband. He wants to marry her off to one of his business partners--who is seventeen years her senior--an idea that is out of the question for Lenore.

Kolbein Booth, a young lawyer from Chicago, arrives in Seattle looking for his headstrong sister, who he believes may have answered an advertisement for mail-order brides. Sick with worry, he storms into the Madison Bridal School, demanding to see his sister, only to learn she isn't there. But Lenore Fulcher is, and something about her captures his attention.

Is this the man Lenore has been searching for? She may not have long to find out... 
 
My review As I tackle the books that have piled up on my nightstand, I re-read Tracie Peterson's Steadfast Heart (originally read mid-year) to refresh my recollection.  I have to state for the record, however, that I love me some Peterson!  I enjoyed A Matter of Heart and A Moment in Time  so I jumped at the chance to read this one.  At the risk of being cliche', this one just wasn't as solid and quickly prompted me at why it wasn't a favorite on my list for 2015.

Let me tell you what I DID love!
~ The empyrean sweetness between Kolbien Booth and Lenore Fulcher ~ both seeking a faithful, true love meeting of the heart. 

~I adored the 'big brother' that ran to the rescue to find his sister, feared to be a mail order bride. I have a big brother.  That juxtaposition reminded me of while he searched for his sister at all costs, wrought with fear and worry, mine would have been doing the same!

~The matronly, little old ladies in the bridal shop, so prim and proper had me in stitches and I could paint the picture in my mind of them as plain as day!  Peterson paints a great picture of characters, including this tea sippin', God fearin', high neck dress wearin' gals!

~Lenore's sweetness and caring for the less fortunate, seeking to keep them fed and dry and risking
so much to bring them just the bare necessities - including replacing so many bibles :)

I don't have any bad remarks towards this book, the first in the Brides of Seattle series, although it just wasn't a page turner.  I wasn't excited to get to the end - I just wanted to get TOO the end.

Thanks to Bethany House for the chance to review this book!




No comments:

Post a Comment